Friday, August 16, 2013

Lady Engineers

I recently became a member of the new Milwaukee chapter of Girls in Tech. It's an awesome group of people; & I thought I'd share the article write-up from the recent meet up.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/networking-group-for-women-in-technology-launches-milwaukee-branch-b9964526z1-219339501.html

I'm excited to be a part of the mentoring committee -meant to get together & pump up young ladies about STEM.

What do you think we can do to ensure full equality within the field of software & technology?


Personally, I think that we should work to present the subject matter in a fun, interactive manner at all levels of education.
I never really had caught interest in technology because of this lack of exposure. The only related experience that I can recall from my education= being filed into a stuffy library computer lab to complete class typing exercises.
I have a few guy friends that obtained degrees in software engineering & talk about their side projects with awesome energy. And I know that these guys gobbled up a load of exposure to the neat possibilities of technology when they were younger. -One example being video games. I think that by seeing this enjoyable potential of technology ignited a curiosity and motivation towards learning about it.
--On a side note, my parents only allowed me to play video games if they held educational benefit. Really -I remember playing an English/grammar skills rain forest game where you could rescue animals from a flaming forest with a pixelated helicopter if you corrected a number of grammatically incorrect sentences. Maybe this primed me to become an English major. Ha...

Anyways- check out the article; & perhaps consider getting involved or passing it on.

graphs cited:
Bateman, Kaleigh. "Women don’t realise just how good they are, survey reveals." ComputerWeekly.com. (2013): n. page. Web. 16 Aug. 2013. <http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240188181/Women-dont-realise-just-how-good-they-are-survey-reveals>.

No comments:

Post a Comment